Kentucky Wesleyan College has a continuing responsibility to monitor and address ADA compliance issues. Kentucky Wesleyan College does not discriminate on the basis of disability in its programs or activities. Complaints should follow the Grievance Procedure as indicated below. The Grievance Procedure is not a legal proceeding, but rather an informal process to enable Kentucky Wesleyan College to remedy any and all effects of alleged discrimination.
The following internal grievance procedure concerning disability services provides for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints. Complaints concerning disability services should be addressed to:
Dr. Leah Hoover, 270-852-3212 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To initiate to pursue a grievance based on discrimination related to the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), the following steps must be observed within 90 days of the time in which the alleged discrimination occurred.
The steps are as follows:
- The student should attempt to resolve disputes informally with either the party alleged to have committed the violation, and/or with the said party and the Director of Disability Services, Dr. Leah Hoover.
If the dispute cannot be resolved informally, then the following formal resolution procedures should be followed:
- A complaint should be filed in writing, contain the name, address, and contact phone number of the person filing said complaint, and briefly describe the alleged violation.
Upon receipt of the written notice of complaint, Dr. Leah Hoover, Director of Disability Services, shall acknowledge receipt within five workdays.
- A complaint should be filed with the Office of Disability Services within 90 days after the complainant becomes aware of the alleged violation.
- An investigation, as may be appropriate, shall follow the filing of said complaint. The Office of Disability Services, along with the assistance of the Office of the Academic Dean for Kentucky Wesleyan College, shall conduct the investigation.
This internal complaint procedure involves an informal, but thorough investigation, affording all interested persons and their representatives, if any, an opportunity to submit evidence relevant to a complaint.
This investigation will be completed within 30 days of the submission of the written complaint.
- A written determination as to the validity of the complaint and a description of the resolution, if any, shall be issued by the Office of Disability Services, in association with the Office of the Academic Dean for Kentucky Wesleyan College, and a copy forwarded to the complainant.
- The Office of Disability Services shall maintain the files and records relating to the complaints filed.
- The complainant can request a reconsideration of the case in instances where the person is dissatisfied with the resolution. This will be known as the Appeals Process.
The request for reconsideration (appeal should be made within 10 workdays to the Office of Disability Services.
This appeal must be made in writing to Dr. Leah Hoover, Director of Disability Services for Kentucky Wesleyan College at 3000 Frederica Street, FOB #23, Owensboro, KY 42303.
This appeal MAY NOT be email or verbalized by phone or voicemail.
- A decision from the Office of Disability Services, in association with the Office of the Academic Dean for Kentucky Wesleyan College, will be rendered within 20 days after receiving the appeal.
The appeal decision is final.
The student and other parties will be advised of the outcome of the appeal to the fullest extent allowed by the state and federal law.
***NOTE: It is prohibited for any Kentucky Wesleyan employee, official, or student to retaliate against or hinder the testimony of any individual because he/she has a filed a complaint under this procedure or who has otherwise assisted in the investigation of a grievance. Such retaliations will be subjected to sanctions as deemed appropriate by the Office of the Academic Dean for Kentucky Wesleyan College.