Satisfactory Academic Progress

Kentucky Wesleyan College Federal Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

All previous Kentucky Wesleyan SAP policies are no longer valid. This is the only valid policy.

The policy contained herein is the result of the federal revision of the regulations governing Satisfactory Academic Progress, October 29, 2010 to be effective July 1, 2011. The applicable regulations are in 34 CFR 668.16(e), 668.32(f) and 668.34.

Kentucky Wesleyan College evaluates all applicants for financial aid in accordance with the policy below. This policy meets federal guidelines, but may differ from other academic institution’s policies. Each institution’s policy is based on their own academic standards.

The Kentucky Wesleyan College Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy is as follows:

Each student’s record will be reviewed to determine if they have made Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) at the conclusion of each payment period (semester). Upon receipt of the grades and course completion data the college will review qualitative (GPA) and quantitative (hours earned) standards using the following scale:

1–29   semester hours attempted/transferred…………………1.6 cum. GPA on 4.0 scale

30–59 semester hours attempted/transferred…………………1.8 cum. GPA on 4.0 scale

60+     semester hours attempted/transferred…………………2.0 cum. GPA on 4.0 scale

SAP will be met if the student meets criteria described on the above scale and earns at least 12 hours per semester (24 hours per academic year). An academic year includes fall, winter, spring & summer semesters. Students may not receive aid for more than 150% of the credit hours required for their degree program – some aid will be negated prior to that.

A student not currently on Financial Aid Warning, who does not make SAP at of the end of any semester, will be placed on Financial Aid Warning. A student who has not met SAP by the end of the next semester in which they are enrolled will lose their financial aid eligibility. . A student who has lost financial aid eligibility has two options:

Option one: They may submit an appeal that includes an academic plan. If their appeal is successful, they will be placed on Financial Aid Probation for one additional semester. Appeal requirements are listed later in this document and are very specific.

Option two: They may attend college at their own expense until they raise their cumulative GPA and/or earned hours to the required levels, and notify the financial aid office when they have done so. The student’s record will be reviewed to determine if they are eligible for reinstatement of financial aid.

Definitions and appeal guidance:

Disabilities: Students who enroll at Kentucky Wesleyan College and are aware of learning or other disabilities should contact the Office of Disability Services prior to the start of the semester so that reasonable accommodations can be made. Students with documented disabilities or functional limitations are held to the same academic expectations as other students. If a student is registered with the Office of Disability Services and is receiving reasonable accommodations, the student is expected to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress for purposes of financial aid eligibility.

Readmits: Students granted readmission and who were previously on financial aid probation, must submit an appeal to the Director of Financial Aid for reinstatement of financial aid eligibility. All attempted and/or transferred hours must be considered when evaluating eligibility. Questions about readmission should be addressed to the Admissions office at (270) 852-3120.

Academic probation: Standards for academic probation are not directly related to eligibility for financial aid.

Academic suspension: Students are ineligible for financial aid while suspended.

Repeated courses: Financial aid can only be applied to the repetition of a previously passed course once, and will not be applied to previously passed coursework that would be taken due to a student’s failure of other coursework.

Withdrawals/Unofficial Withdrawals: Students who withdraw or cease attendance  from Kentucky Wesleyan College twice during an award year must submit an appeal for continued eligibility.

Appeals: Must be submitted in writing using the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form with all appropriate documentation. It is the student’s responsibility to provide all appropriate documentation. The Financial Aid Office will not contact doctors, professors, or other persons for additional information if the documentation provided is not adequate.  Appeals must be made no later than 30 days after the date on the student’s notification of probation. It is recommended that an appeal be submitted as soon as possible after notification so that the appeal can be evaluated before classes begin.

Double Majors and multiple minors: Students seeking double majors or a major with a minor must complete their degree program for the primary major within the limits set for that major. For Pell eligible students, once the coursework for the primary major is complete, no additional Pell can be awarded regardless of whether or not the student applies for graduation.

Grades of W (withdraw) and I (incompletes): W’s are included in hours attempted for SAP. I’s are treated as failing grades. When the student receives a letter grade for the “I” their financial aid will be reviewed and revised if necessary.

Failing Grades: Students with all F’s and/or E’s for a semester will have their aid prorated based on the last date of academic activity. The professor of each class registered for will be contacted to determine the last date of an academically related event (last class attended, last date of when homework, a test, or a project was turned in, etc.). For online classes, simply logging on will not count as an academically related event.  Academic activity is determined by interaction/participation in the class (chats, projects, etc.)

Pell Eligibility: A student with a baccalaureate or professional degree is ineligible for Pell even if the degree is from an unaccredited school or is not recognized by Kentucky Wesleyan College.

Occasionally a student will complete all the requirements for a bachelor’s degree but will continue taking undergraduate courses without accepting the degree. If a student has completed all of the required coursework for a bachelor’s degree, then they are no longer eligible to receive a Pell grant.

If a Pell-eligible student retakes a course in which they made a passing grade (A,B,C or D), then Pell will only pay for the retake one time.

For questions regarding the above policy, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 270-852-3120. You may also email Crystal Hamilton at