Stuck at home and not sure what to do between signing in to classes or after you’ve played that new video game time and time again? Check out some of the below activities and programming that you can do from home or wherever you are with your computer or phone.
Upcoming Activities and Programming
Check back daily to see information regarding upcoming virtual activities and programs.
Free Concert Every Friday:
Tune in weekly for Degy Entertainment’s Friday Night Live Showcase! Friday Night Live! Is Degy’s “New” Friday night concert series hosted by DJ Jeff and MC Ari. Join at 7:00 PM EST/6:00 PM CST via FaceBook Live by following @degyentertainment for a concert you won’t want to miss! Each week a “Special Guest” will Headline the show. Who?? You’ll have to show up to find out!
Go to https://www.degy.com/FridayNightLive/ for more information and find out how to meet the headlining artist before the show.
Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 6:00PM CST – Harry Potter Virtual Trivia
• Via Zoom and Kahoot we will have Harry Potter Virtual Trivia provided by Rebellevents and College Trivia Nerds
• Winners will receive an e-gift card to Amazon or other online retailer
• More instructions will be sent next week
Virtual Trivia – Date & Time TBD – Win an e-gift card to Amazon or other online retailer
Virtual Bingo – Date & Time TBD – Win an e-gift card to Amazon or other online retailer
Do you have an idea for a virtual program? Submit your ideas to the Director of Student Involvement, Michael McComas.
Virtual Health & Wellness
Missing group fitness classes or going to the gym? We have found several ways to keep active from home.
- The 3rd workshop of “Test Anxiety Workshop” Series will be Wednesday, April 15 at noon–join us on Zoom! If you know of a student who could use additional support in this area, Preston would be happy to conduct a 1:1 videoconference with that student to review past workshops’ content. Students can email Preston directly at email@example.com to arrange a session.
- Check out the Planet Fitness Facebook page for live-streamed daily workouts several times a day.
- Is Yoga more your thing? Check out CorePower Yoga for some guided classes from the comfort of your living room.
- Check out Health and Fitness videos from the YMCA.
- Tune in to 5 Minute Fitness classes with Nurse Tonya that you can do from home with little to no equipment. We will broadcast workouts via Facebook Live. Please contact Nurse Tonya to let her know you are interested in tuning in.
- For an introduction to mindfulness meditation that you can practice on your own, visit UCLA Health for downloadable guided meditations in both English and Spanish.
Virtual Tours and Museums
Experience the best museums from NYC to France to Seoul in the comfort of your own home. Check out these sites to go on virtual tours of different museums and specific exhibits.
- The Louvre, Paris, France – Explore parts of the world’s largest museum which houses one of the most impressive art collections in history. The magnificent, baroque-style palace and museum — LeMusée du Louvre in French — sits along the banks of the Seine River in Paris. It is one of the city’s biggest tourist attractions.
- National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC – Experience two online exhibits. The first is the American fashion from 1740 to 1895 exhibit. The second explores a collection of works from Dutch Baroque painter Johannes Vermeer.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York – The Met presents over 5,000 years of art from around the world for everyone to experience and enjoy. The Museum lives in three iconic sites in New York City—The Met Fifth Avenue, The Met Breuer, and The Met Cloisters.
- National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea, Seoul – Explore six floors of Contemporary art from Korea and all over the globe in one of Korea’s most popular museums.
- Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam – Virtually visit part of the museum of artist Vincent Van Gogh which houses over 200 paintings, 500 drawings, and over 750 personal letters.
- National Museum of Anthropology, Mexico City – Built in 1964, this museum is dedicated to the archaeology and history of Mexico’s pre-Hispanic heritage.
- British Museum, London – Explore hundreds of artifacts representing art, religion, belief, trade, and more with the British Museums Museum of the World virtual timeline.
- Go on a virtual field trip to Ellis Island
- Take a live look at Colonial Williamsburg
- Tour England through this 360° video
- Virtually discover Yellowstone National Park and 5 other National Parks thanks to virtual reality (and Google)!
- Take a walk on the Great Wall of China
- Check out the view from Pompeii through Google Maps
- Explore the surface of Mars on the Curiosity Rover
Lions, tigers and bears, oh my! Just want a cute and cuddly distraction? Check out several different animal live cam options from watching silly sea otters and curious elephants or just mellow out to the hypnotic drifting jellyfish. Start a journal of your animal observations and let us know what you find out!
- San Diego Zoo
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Smithsonian’s National Zoo & Conservation Biology Institute
- Atlanta’s Zoo Panda Cam
- Georgia Aquarium
- Ouwehand Park Polar Bears
- Explore Live Cams
More Fun Things To Do!
- Have a Netflix Party with friends while watching your favorite shows together!
- Choose from 15 Broadway plays and musicals that you can watch on stage from home. Musical television more your thing? Check out this list of 11 Musical TV Shows to binge watch while you’re home, in between your online classes of course!
- Create a collaborative playlist with your friends or jam out to Rita Wilson’s Quarantunes
- Take up a new hobby such as making towel animals, crocheting, or choose from thousands of other tutorial videos on YouTube.
- Watch an Opera for free with the Metropolitan Opera
- Listen to a live recording from the Seattle Symphony
- Print off a free printable coloring page from the “Color Our Collections” campaign with coloring sheets from over 100 museums and libraries from around the world.