How to File a Consumer Complaint

To report an issue with a college or university operating in Kentucky, send an email or letter to the address below. You will need to include in your narrative:

  • Name of student complainant
  • Complainant current address
  • Complainant address at time of attendance
  • Complainant email address
  • Complainant phone number
  • Name of institution
  • Address of institution
  • Dates of attendance
  • Date(s) of incident(s) related to the complaint
  • Explanation of the steps taken to exhaust the institution’s grievance process
  • Description of problem and supportive documentation
  • Desired resolution of the complaint

(Note: Inquiries commercial in nature will not receive responses.)

Postal mail:
CPE Consumer Complaint
Council on Postsecondary Education
1024 Capital Center Drive, Suite 320
Frankfort, KY 40601

* In accordance with 13 KAR 4:010, a non-resident student attending a Kentucky college or university operating through the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) must first exhaust all internal procedures for complaint resolution offered by the college or university before filing a complaint. In addition, the incident giving rise to the complaint must have occurred within two years of filing.