Thank you for your interest in applying to Kentucky Wesleyan College! This page is for military veterans who are interested in full- or part-time enrollment at Kentucky Wesleyan College.
About Kentucky Wesleyan College
Kentucky Wesleyan College is a Yellow Ribbon School, which means we offer a free education to all veterans who qualify for the new GI Bill® Yellow Ribbon program and meet Kentucky Wesleyan’s admission requirements. Eligible Post-9/11 GI Bill® veterans can apply for the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement program, a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008.
The Yellow Ribbon Bill pays veterans’ tuition up to an amount equal to the highest in state public school undergraduate tuition. Kentucky Wesleyan will pay half of the remaining amount, which the Department of Veterans Affairs will match. This scholarship and the Yellow Ribbon funds and VA match provide a free educational opportunity.
Kentucky Wesleyan College does not penalize or prohibit a GI Bill® student from attending or participating in courses while awaiting VA payment (for up to 90 days).
The Application Process
Applying online will expedite your application process – and it’s free!
STEP 1: Complete the Application
- Fill out an online application.
STEP 2: Send Official Transcripts
- If you have have no college experience, send an official high school transcript to this address:
- Kentucky Wesleyan College
Office of Admissions
3000 Frederica Street
Owensboro, KY 42301
- If you have previous college experience, send an official transcript from each college or university you have attended to the address above.
- The Office of Admissions reserves the right to request additional information or a personal interview.
Step 3: Send ACT or SAT Scores
- Request that your scores be sent to school code 1518 for ACT or 1369 for SAT. If your scores are on your transcript, we consider those to be official.
Step 4: Apply for Financial Aid
- To apply, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online.
- Submit your FAFSA by the preferred date of October 1. You do not have to wait until you are admitted to Kentucky Wesleyan to apply for financial aid. The earlier you apply, the better chance you have that funds will be available.
- This is especially important for Kentucky residents to ensure you receive the best opportunities for financial aid.
- To ensure that we receive your FAFSA information, indicate our institutional code (001969) in the Federal School Code field and list the appropriate housing code.
Step 5: Accept Your Awards
- Accept your award package online.
- Your Student ID is the first letter of your first name and the first eight letters of your last name.
- Accepting your award will ensure that your money is ready to be disbursed at the start of the semester.
STEP 6: Complete Residency Information and Health Forms
Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges Consortium
Kentucky Wesleyan College is a member of the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Consortium of approximately 1,900 colleges and universities. SOC Consortium members subscribe to principles and criteria to ensure that quality academic programs are available to servicemembers, including members of the National Guard and Coast Guard, their family members, reservists and veterans of all Services.
As an SOC Consortium member, this institution ensures that military students share in appropriately accredited postsecondary educational opportunities available to other citizens. Flexibility of programs and procedures, particularly in admissions, counseling, credit transfer, course articulations, recognition of non-traditional learning experiences, scheduling, course format and residency requirements are provided to enhance access of servicemembers and their family members to higher education programs.
For more information, contact:
The Office of Financial Aid
Military Benefit Information
Kentucky Wesleyan is proud of the service and sacrifice of our men and women in the U.S. Military. We welcome veteran students and offer you assistance and guidance. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs determines the eligibility of educational benefits for veterans of the U.S. armed forces and/or their family members. If you or your family members are eligible for veteran educational benefits, the Kentucky Wesleyan VA rep will certify your enrollment in order for you or your family members to receive these benefits.
The Registrar’s Office at Kentucky Wesleyan College will evaluate your military training and experience for possible college credit. A military credential evaluation is optional and has no bearing on your admission status. This evaluation does not include evaluation of transfer work from other educational institutions. You must provide those transcripts separately. To inquire about your military transcript, please contact the American Council of Education at 202-939-9470.
Students attending Kentucky Wesleyan College who are eligible to receive VA Educational Benefits may qualify for one of the following Chapters of the GI Bill® of Education Assistance:
- CHAPTER 30 Montgomery GI Bill®
- CHAPTER 31 Vocational Rehabilitation
- CHAPTER 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®
- CHAPTER 35 Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program
- CHAPTER 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® — Selected Reserve
- CHAPTER 1607 Reserve Education Assistance Program
- Yellow Ribbon*
*Yellow Ribbon (YR) benefits will not be processed until the annual tuition and fees cap has been exhausted. YR is typically utilized during the Spring semester.
If you expect to receive VA benefits from the Department of Veteran Affairs to help defray the costs of your education:
- Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs to determine the benefits you are eligible for. The VA Education benefits helpline is 1-888-442-4551.
- When you receive your Certificate of Eligibility, forward it to the Financial Aid Office at email@example.com. The Financial Aid Office will have your VA benefits applied toward the cost of your Kentucky Wesleyan college education.
If you have questions about how your benefits are credited toward your student account, contact the Financial Aid Office at 270-852-3120 or firstname.lastname@example.org. According to VA standards, Kentucky Wesleyan college students who receive VA benefits are expected to maintain academic progress toward a degree. VA will be notified should a student fall below full-time status, earn academic probation or suspension, or withdraw from the institution. Changes in enrollment may affect benefit level.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at https://www.benefits.va.gov.
If you have any questions or need more information about veteran applications to Kentucky Wesleyan College, please contact:
Office of Admissions and Financial Aid
Barnard Jones Administration Building – 1st Floor
3000 Frederica Street
Ownesboro, KY 42301