Office: (270) 852-3212
Responsibilities of Students, Faculty & the Office of Accessibility
Kentucky Wesleyan College is committed to equal opportunity and challenge for all academically qualified students and does not discriminate on the basis of disability.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 are significant federal mandates that require universities to provide reasonable and appropriate accommodations for qualified students with documented disabilities.
Support services and accommodations are designed to provide students with disabilities full access to the College’s educational opportunities.
The Office of Accessibility is responsible for the general coordination of programs and services for qualified applicants for admission and enrolled students with disabilities. Eligibility for services and appropriate accommodations are determined by the Office of Accessibility after review of disability documentation.
Frequently, collaborative discussion between the Office of Accessibility, the student, faculty and others is required to identify appropriate accommodations such as those listed below.
RESPONSIBILITY OF STUDENT:
- Students with disabilities are responsible for ensuring that Kentucky Wesleyan College is aware of disabilities that require accommodation in the educational process.
- Students with disabilities are responsible for requesting accommodations by identifying themselves to Molly Gross, the 504 Coordinator, presenting appropriate documentation of disability, completing a service request each semester, and requesting accommodation letters for faculty outlining specific accommodation needs.
- Students with disabilities are responsible for providing the accommodation letters to each faculty.
- Students with disabilities are responsible for requesting accommodations in a timely manner.
- Students with disabilities are responsible for meeting the requirements of each class.
- Students with disabilities are responsible for notifying Ms. Molly Gross, the 504 Coordinator, if any problems occur receiving approved accommodations.
RESPONSIBILITY OF FACULTY:
- Faculty are strongly encouraged to include the following statement on the course syllabus:“Kentucky Wesleyan College is committed to providing access to programs and services for qualified students with disabilities. If you are a student with a disability and require accommodation to participate and complete requirements for this class, notify me immediately and contact Molly Gross at the Office of Accessibility (FOB #27 or 270-852-3212) for verification of eligibility and determination of specific accommodations.”
- Faculty are responsible for requiring verification of eligibility. The standard form of verification is a letter to the faculty prepared by the Office of Accessibility.
- Faculty are responsible for providing approved accommodations for eligible students. The Office of Accessibility is available for consultation about appropriate levels of accommodation and available support resources.
- Faculty must consult freely with the Office of Accessibility as questions and concerns arise regarding approved accommodations for each student.
RESPONSIBILITY OF THE OFFICE OF Accessibility (OA):
- OA is responsible for general coordination of accommodations for students with disabilities.
- OA is responsible for referring students with suspected disabilities to sources of assessment, but OA provides no diagnostic services.
- OA is responsible for receipt and review of documentation of disability.
- OA is responsible for determining eligibility for specific accommodations.
- OA is responsible for preparation of accommodation letters. Letters are given to students who in turn share letters with faculty.
- OA is responsible for discussing accommodation needs with students, faculty and others as appropriate to identify appropriate accommodations on a case-by-case basis.
- OA is responsible for assisting faculty with classroom accommodation needs and provision of appropriate auxiliary aids.
- OA is responsible for assisting with problem resolution as needed.