Qualifications of the Evaluator
The name, title, and license/certification credentials of the evaluator should be stated in the report.
The following professionals are considered qualified to evaluate psychological disorders: clinical psychologists, neuropsychologist, psychiatrists and licensed professional counselors who have expertise in evaluating the impact of psychiatric disorders on an individual’s educational performance.
All reports (post-rehabilitation and within one year) should be on official letterhead, dated, and signed.
Evaluation should be no more than three years old.
Changes may have occurred in the student’s performance since a previous diagnosis, or new medication may have been prescribed or discontinued since the initial diagnosis was made.
Documentation should substantiate the need for services based on the student’s current functioning.
To determine eligibility for KWC’s Office of Accessibility, Kentucky Wesleyan College needs specific information about the student’s impairment and how this impairment constitutes a substantial limitation to a major life activity.
Toward that end, the physicians report must include the following information.
1. Diagnostic criteria:
a. Diagnosis by a mental health professional (psychologist, neuropsychologist, psychiatrist, licensed professional counselor) that is an impartial individual not related to the student.
b. DSM-V designation.
c. Date of diagnosis that is no older than three years.
d. Last contact with student.
e. Defined levels of functioning and any limitations.
f. Current treatment and medication.
2. Describe symptoms that meet the criteria for this diagnosis.
3. Summarize present symptoms and prognosis.
4. Identify the major life activities affected by this disorder such as walking, learning, seeing, hearing, sleeping, etc.
5. Is the student currently taking any medication related to the condition for which the student is asking for reasonable accommodations? If so, please relate the impact of that medication on the student’s ability to participate in an academic environment.
6. Please suggest recommendations for academic accommodations and your rationale for suggesting such accommodations.
7. Please attach any other information relevant to the individual’s needs.